Tuesday 6 June 2017

(June 2015)

The first thing I have to do is thank everyone who came to see me in the Grey Nun's hospital after my stroke.  I couldn't talk very well (and I couldn't process many things in my head either), but I will NEVER forget people that came to visit me!  Even my friend Sonia flew here from Houston, Texas, because she had to see me for herself to make sure I was going to be okay.  So thank you!!!

I'm not sure exactly what date it was but I do know it was a Tuesday and I also know I got to have my first shower, ALONE, at the Grey Nun's hospital.  Now that may not seem like a big deal to any of you who haven't been in a wheelchair and before that, had no use of your right (or left) side.  It was amazing!!!!  The only "bad" thing about it, the bathrooms don't have any fans in side them in the hospital - so when I got out of the shower - I was so light headed!  I had to sit down in the wheelchair because I thought I was going to pass out.  But again - it was wonderful!!

Once I was showered, the nurse let me know I was going to the Glenrose for the next part of my rehab and I had about an hour to pack all my stuff up before an ambulance would take me there.  The nurse said they would take care of calling Richard and another nurse came in to help me pack.  My right arm was getting stronger but I couldn't pack very well - but I was ready to get out of the Grey Nun's and to get underway with my rehab.

Let me tell you - it was great to get outside (yes, even in an ambulance ride)!  I got to the Glenrose sometime in the afternoon.  I got into a private room for a couple of days because I had to meet with different therapists to map out what I couldn't do.  It was strange for the first night that I stayed there - because once I was in bed, there was an alarm that would go off when I had to get a drink or go the bathroom.  Now, I know why, but at the time I was quite puzzled by this.  Also, I was in a "locked" wing of the hospital.  Again, I didn't know then, but a stroke is a brain injury and it can hamper the way you look at things and how you process things (like getting back to your room after a day of therapies).

I had to always go out with one of my therapists for each session and they would return me back to my room after - I didn't realize I would get lost if someone didn't come back with me.  It was really like starting over from a beginner for everything.  I didn't need the wheelchair anymore, I graduated to a walker - so that was nice.  But I couldn't write anything so I had a bunch of photocopies that I could do with cursive writing techniques.  I finally got to go to my therapies by myself after one of my therapists took me around the hospital and asked me to find the cafeteria, the lobby, the physical therapists room and so forth.  It was great to go to my therapies by myself and I could get back to the wing I was in and everything.  It is really amazing the things that you take for granted because "that's just they way it is"...until you have to go back to the "beginning".

I had to go to a physical therapist so that I could use my legs properly.  Again, it's like starting all over again.  I would have to have a rope belt around my waist and the therapist would hold on to it so I wouldn't lose my balance.  But I wasn't going to let anything stand in my way - I NEEDED to  get back to way I was before the stroke - and that was that!

I had two different types of speech therapists that I would play games with like Scattergories and Scrabble.  It was very difficult because I could "see" the word in my head but I couldn't verbalize what I wanted to say.  It was going to take me a little longer (no, I didn't know I would still be struggling today - two years later).  This is something I still have to work on, make notes and I can't come down on myself when I get tired or I can't find the words I need to say (Aphasia 😉...I've used the word enough that everyone knows about it)!

Now again, I have to say, the nurses and all the therapist's were WONDERFUL at the Glenrose!!!  Even now, I am taking High Level Aphasia and they are so good to everyone...so again, thank you!

Now I have suppose I should start my homework (grade 5 and 6 levels now) - so I will write some more in at few days about the Glenrose!

#glenrose  #surviving  #brain injury  #stroke

No comments:

Post a Comment