Sunday 3 March 2019

Abuse

 

I spend some of my time with different groups that have something to do with brain injuries whether it be for support, therapy or how to do things differently now that I have had a stroke.  I'm going to share this from one of the groups - I won't tell you which group or anything like that - because it is supposed to be confidential but I also believe people should know about it and that they should report it, if it does happen to someone you know.

I was at one of the groups and there was a woman who has a brain injury.  She can't say very many words and it can be difficult to get things out when she needs to tell someone something.  You really have to be patient with her, and that's all right!  She started telling the group that there was a call on her answering machine - it was from the police.  They were wondering if she could come down to the Police station and do a video recording session with them.  She went on to say "it was good that they are taking an interest in her".  As she kept talking (I finally realized), she had suffered a sexual assault by her neighbor (the person that lives on the floor above her).  She was more emotional about the fact that the police wanted her statement that what actually happened to her!  She spoke a bit more and told all of us, that this was the SECOND time (I couldn't believe it), it happened.  Now the group leaders with this group, know her very well, and they are helping privately with her to get some help with all of this (I want all of you to know this).

I think about child sexual abuse and senior sexual abuse that goes on, because it is in the news and everything; but also it goes on with the disabled, too.  It must have been very difficult when it happened to her, who does she go to and what to do afterwards.  I really must give my support and kudos to this woman - firstly because she told all of us in the group and because even in her current state, she is thinking about her next steps with what she should do and how she should do it.  I think she is an amazing woman to share this!

No comments:

Post a Comment