Saturday 28 October 2017


Another long time since I've written in here.  Well I was employed for six weeks (yep, that's all), I gave my notice two weeks ago for a few reasons:

1.  Talking on the phone was challenging and especially later in the day;

2.  There wasn't much for me to do throughout the day, the work was off and on - I think it would have worked out better for me if I could have worked part-time;

3.  It really was too much for me since I've had the stroke (and that took me by surprise and it's discouraging for me to admit to myself and to all of you 😢).

Once I got in the position, it really became obvious to me that things really aren't the way they're supposed to be since the stroke.  I had to constantly write down EVERYTHING, because I couldn't remember simple things in Word, Excel, Access and even email. When my supervisor would show me something, I had to ask her again (and again, etc. - well you know what I mean).  This was very difficult for me because before the stroke people would come to me and ask me how to do things...now it was really difficult for me to even remember what I had to do.

So I've had to really think about what and how much I can do now.  The first thing is - really I can only work part-time because quite simply I get too tired and I can't focus on things later in the day.  The other thing is - I have to look for a job the doesn't require me to speak for a long period of time - again, my speech starts to slur and I can't find the words I need to, to communicate to others.

Again, I have a brain injury and life has changed drastically for me.  I thought it would go back to the way I was...I won't any more and I have to get used to that.  I have my husband and family around me...I'm so thankful of that.  But I can't sit at home because it frustrates me with the kids gone and there's only so much I can do around here.  So if anyone knows of something I could do i.e., volunteer work, working part-time in the morning...send me your suggestions...I could use them...


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing exactly what I feel and am going through. I don't know if I would have even been able to express myself as well as you did. I had my stroke in September 2017 and physically I have come a long way, however my brain continues to experience technical difficulties and I have not returned to work yet and am nervous about doing so because I know me before my stroke and I don't know me after. I am healing and having to rediscover who I am. There are many differences and changes, I have trouble word finding and following instructions. I like your idea of volunteering try several places until you like what you are doing. I am single and have to work to make my house payment and pay bills and I am about to do a neuro psych evaluation to check my cognitive status to see if I could perform my work duties or what I would be able to do. Keep pressing on. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading the post! I really did it because I've come so far, but I still have a long way to go. You are only at the beginning of your journey, so keep your chin up and you can contact me at anytime to talk or vent ;). You keep on going, Bonnie!!

    ReplyDelete