Sunday 25 February 2018

Things Are Different Now



I have realized over the past couple of months, I have to accept life has changed for me (and for Richard Makarowski). It is coming up three years since I have had the stroke. When I think back, boy was I really quite silly to think, in a couple of weeks I'll be back the way I was before the stroke. I didn't realize (now you have to remember I couldn't walk, I couldn't get out more than a word or two and I couldn't even access my I-phone because I couldn't remember the password to unlock the screen), that it would take me this long to get back to some form or normalcy.

I really have to thank my family and friends for sticking by me (all of you), because I don't think I could have survived with out you. It is really difficult to say, but the past couple of months have been difficult because I really didn't want to talk to anyone and I certainly didn't want to have anyone over because I have change. I can't go back to the way I was before, because my mind doesn't work the same way. Gone are the days when I could figure out Excel spreadsheets, talk to people (because now I have to really think of the words I want to say), the typing is difficult because I really have to read the words to make sure they make sense. It has really changed everything for me.

I have to say thank you to Traci Camplin Christenson, because with out her, I wouldn't have been about to keep my Real Estate license, so THANK YOU 👍. I also have to thank the Makarowski's because without all of you, well I don't know what I would have done 😉. From all the travelling we didn't over the past couple of years, it was difficult for me to keep up but you guys were there to support me in any way you could. My dear sister-in-law, Rayan Makarowski, you came to our house for your treatment but I can't say enough, how much you helped me just by being here, I love you and you can stay anytime. Michelle Berg and Kimberly Schick-Puddicombe, the two of you have helped me with simply talking when I needed to (Kimberly Schick-Puddicombe had a brain injury too, so it was nice to chat with her because she actually knew what I was going through). Noreen Muth-Hayden, you helping me with the questions I had about becoming an independent contract (and I probably will still have questions 🙄). And I definitely have to thank Terry Churchill Makarowski, you are my strength when everything seems to be going no where (or really, really slow and when I just have to complain about everything without judging me 🙂).

I was at the Glenrose, with my speech therapist, Megan Petryk, and she said something that makes sense to me now, "I am not the only one changing, everyone around me has to accept I am different now. If they can't, it doesn't mean that there is something wrong with me, it just means they can't accept the way I am now, and that's okay too".

Have a wonderful Sunday afternoon and happy birthday to Jackson Makarowski (you definitely make me laugh, in a good way)!

No comments:

Post a Comment